Vegetable tagine with apricot quinoa
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Niomi Smart's beautifully vibrant vegan recipe is a good source of iron and gives you all 5 of your 5-a-day! Make good use of seasonal vegetables and spices
For the tagine
- 1 tsp coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 red onion , chopped
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- ½ butternut squash (500g), chopped into large chunks
- 2 red peppers , chopped
- 400g can chickpeas , drained
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 500ml vegan vegetable stock (such as Marigold Vegan Bouillon Powder)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp paprika
- small bunch coriander , chopped
- small bunch mint , chopped, plus extra to serve
- pomegranate seeds , to serve (optional)
For the apricot quinoa
For the dressing
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion over a medium heat for 3 mins. Add the garlic and butternut squash, and cook for a further 7 mins.
- STEP 2
Add the remaining vegetables and continue to fry for 3 mins before adding the chickpeas, tomatoes and stock, along with the spices and seasoning. Simmer for 30 mins, uncovered. Meanwhile, put 750ml water in a small saucepan, bring to a simmer, then add the quinoa and cook for 20 mins. When cooked, stir in the apricots and almonds, plus a pinch of salt.
- STEP 3
To make the tahini dressing, whisk together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Season with a pinch of salt.
- STEP 4
Serve the quinoa with the tagine, and drizzle the tahini dressing over the top. Scatter over some chopped coriander and mint and the pomegranate seeds, if using, to finish.