Tomato & chilli harissa
- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 1 x 350g jar
- 1 tsp each caraway and coriander seed
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 100ml olive oil , plus a little extra
- 4 garlic cloves , peeled but kept whole
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 500g tomato , deseeded and chopped
- 3 red chillies , deseeded (use more chillies and leave the seeds in if you like it very fiery)
- 1 tsp rosewater (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the spice seeds in a dry pan until lightly toasted and aromatic, then lightly crush using a pestle and mortar.
- STEP 2
Heat the oil in a large pan and add the garlic, toasted spices, paprika, tomatoes and chillies. Cook over a low heat, stirring frequently, until the tomato flesh has cooked down to a pulp and the garlic is tender – this will take about 15 mins.
- STEP 3
Remove from the heat, add the rose water (if using), then blitz with a hand blender or pulse in a food processor to make a rough paste. Spoon into a sterilised jar and pour a little oil over the surface to completely cover it. Will keep in the fridge for several months if you cover the surface with oil after each use.