Summer ham & pea broth
- Preparation and cooking time
- No cook
- Serves 2
- 250g pouch ready-to-eat mixed grains (we used Merchant Gourmet Wholesome Mix)
- 200g frozen pea
- small bunch mint , leaves picked
- 2 spring onions , whites and greens separated and thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp golden caster sugar
- ½ vegetable stock cube
- 140g piece of ham , or thick slices, trimmed of any fat and shredded or finely chopped
- big handful pea shoots
- STEP 1
Heat the grains in the microwave following pack instructions. Put the peas in a sieve and pour over boiling water.
- STEP 2
Put 50g of the peas, most of the mint leaves, the spring onion whites, vinegar, sugar and stock cube in a food processor, and blend to a smooth paste, adding a little water if you need to. Divide between 2 soup or pasta bowls.
- STEP 3
Divide the remaining peas, hot grains and ham between the bowls and pour over enough boiling water to almost fill the bowls. Stir and leave for 2 mins to heat through.
- STEP 4
Stir in the spring onion greens and remaining mint leaves, season well with pepper and top with some pea shoots.