Slow cooker Goan pulled pork
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
Slow cook pork shoulder in Indian spices until meltingly tender, then shred and serve with chapatis, crunchy veg salad, cooling raita dip and mango chutney
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion , halved and sliced
- 1 garlic bulb , cloves peeled
- thumb-sized piece ginger , shredded into very thin matchsticks
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- ½-1 tsp cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you like it)
- 225ml cider vinegar
- 2kg boneless pork leg or shoulder
For the salad
- 12 warm chapatis or small wraps
- chunky cucumber raita (see goes well with) and mango chutney
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Fry the onion, garlic and ginger for about 10 mins. Stir in the spices, pour in the vinegar and stir well. Tip into the slow cooker (we used a 6.5-litre model) and add 1 tsp salt and about 20 turns of a black pepper mill. Add the pork joint, turn in the mixture to coat it, then arrange it in the pot so it is rind-side down. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hrs.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, make the salad. Mix the carrot with the onion, tomato and coriander, then toss just before serving with the lemon juice and oil.
- STEP 3
Remove the rind and fat from the pork and skim all the fat from the juices, then shred the meat into the juices. To serve, put some meat and salad on one side of a chapati, then top with the raita and chutney, fold over and eat with your hands.