- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 500g beef mince
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 1 celery stick , finely chopped
- 1 large red pepper , thickly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves , finely grated
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 2-3 tbsp chipotle chilli paste
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 400ml beef stock
- 2 x 400g can black beans , drained
- 4 small squares dark chocolate
- tortilla chips or cooked rice and soured cream, to serve
- STEP 1
Set the slow cooker to low. Heat 1½ tbsp oil in a large, non-stick pan over a high heat and fry the mince for 10-12 mins or until evenly browned. Tip into the slow cooker.
- STEP 2
Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Fry the onion, celery and pepper for 10 mins or until softened. Add the garlic, cumin and paprika and fry for 1 min. Tip into the slow cooker.
- STEP 3
Stir in the oregano, chipotle paste, tomato purée, tomatoes and stock. Season. Cover and cook for 6-8 hrs.
- STEP 4
Stir in the beans and chocolate during the final 30 mins of cooking. Serve with a bowl of rice or tortilla chips and a dollop of soured cream.