- 8-12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, each cut into 3 chunks
- 2 tbsp veg or rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- thumb-sized piece ginger, finely grated or chopped
- 3 tbsp tikka curry paste
- 500ml passata
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp malt vinegar
- 1 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 5 cardamom pods
- 100ml double cream
- handful chopped coriander
- cooked basmati rice, lime wedges and naan bread, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the slow cooker. Season the chicken, then put the oil in a wide frying pan and, once hot, add the chicken. Don’t overcrowd the pan – you may want to do this in batches. Cook over a high heat until the chicken is browned, then transfer it to the slow cooker. Add the onion, garlic and ginger to the pan and cook for a few mins until softened. Add a splash of water and scrape any bits from the bottom of the pan, then tip everything into the slow cooker.
- STEP 2
Add the remaining ingredients, except the cream and coriander, then season well and cover with a lid. Cook on low for 5-7 hrs or on high for 4-5 hrs.
- STEP 3
Add the cream and check the seasoning, adding more vinegar, sugar or salt if needed. Cook for another 10-15 mins until hot. Ladle between bowls and garnish with the coriander. Serve with rice, naan bread and lime wedges, if you like.