Sausage nut stuffing cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- Serves 8 - 10
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter
- 3 shallots , finely chopped
- 2 sticks celery , finely chopped
- 100g white breadcrumbs
- 500g good-quality sausagemeat
- 50g roughly chopped walnuts , plus extra to serve
- grated zest 1 small orange
- 1 tbsp chopped sage leaves, or 1 tsp dried
- 1 egg , beaten
- 8 rashers rindless streaky bacon
- handful chopped parsley , to serve
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Have ready an 18-20cm springform cake tin. Heat the oil and butter and gently fry the shallots and celery for 5 mins without colouring them. Tip into a bowl and add the breadcrumbs, sausagemeat, walnuts, orange zest and sage. Add plenty of pepper and a little salt, if using, and mix together with your hands. Add the egg, then mix well.
- STEP 2
Arrange the bacon slices in the tin, leaving 5cm strip on the base, then lay them up around the sides of the tin and let the excess hang over the edge. Carefully fill the tin with the stuffing mix, levelling it on top. Fold the bacon over the top of the stuffing, gathering and twisting the ends loosely in the centre. Scatter over the remaining walnuts, pressing them in slightly.
- STEP 3
Set the tin on a baking sheet to catch any juices that escape, then bake for 40-45 mins until the top is golden. Cool in the tin for 10 mins, then remove onto a serving plate and scatter with parsley. Cut into wedges to serve.