- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 1.2 litres/2 pints chicken stock
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion , very finely chopped
- 350g arborio risotto rice
- 125ml Fino sherry or dry white wine
- ½ tsp saffron
- 50g parmesan , or vegetarian alternative, grated
- 1 egg yolk
- rocket salad, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the stock in a pan over a very low heat – have a ladle at the ready. Melt the butter and olive oil in a high-sided, non-stick frying pan. Add the onion and a large pinch of salt, then cook, stirring, for 5 mins until softened and fragrant but not colouring. Tip in the rice and coat in the oil and butter, cooking for a few mins until beginning to toast. Pour in the wine and cook, stirring, until it’s absorbed. Add the saffron and begin to add the stock, a ladle at a time, stirring continually. Add more stock as it’s absorbed. After 25-30 mins, all the stock should be absorbed and the rice should be creamy and al dente.
- STEP 2
Add the Parmesan and stir until melted. Turn off the heat and stir in the egg yolk. Season and serve with a peppery rocket salad, if you like.