Tomato soup with pasta
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2-3
Enjoy this family-favourite tomato soup with carrots, celery and pasta for a lighter supper. It's great for a packed lunch too – simply pour into a flask
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ onion , finely chopped
- 1 small carrot , finely chopped
- 1 celery stick , finely chopped
- 100ml passata
- 400g can peeled tomatoes or 4 large ripe tomatoes
- ½ vegetable or chicken stock melt or cube
- 2 tbsp cream (optional)
- 100g orzo or soup pasta, cooked until al dente
- shaved parmesan , chopped basil or pesto, and breadsticks, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a saucepan over a low heat. Add the onion, carrot and celery and fry for 8-10 mins until tender, but don’t let them brown too much. Add the passata and tomatoes and bring to the boil. Add the stock, 200ml water and a pinch of sugar, then season and simmer for 20 mins. Taste the soup and adjust the seasoning – add more water if you need to. Can be frozen at this point.
- STEP 2
Stir in the cream (if using) and the cooked pasta. Spoon into two or three bowls and top with cheese, basil or pesto – or all three.
PACK IT UP
To make a packed lunch, pour the soup into a flask, and drop the toppings on top. Serve with breadsticks on the side.