Roast salmon with spiced coconut crumbs
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Takes 30-40 minutes
- Serves 8
This lightly spiced salmon dish can be prepared in advance and roasted at the last minute - ideal as the hot dish in a buffet
- 50g butter
- 8 green cardamom pods , seeds removed and finely crushed
- 3 tbsp desiccated coconut
- 1 plump fresh red chilli , seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp grated fresh root ginger
- 2 garlic cloves , finely chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- generous pinch of ground turmeric
- 8 slim boneless skinless salmon fillets
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- STEP 1
Up to a day ahead, melt the butter in a medium pan, add the cardamom and coconut and stir non-stop for 2 to 3 minutes until the coconut starts to toast. Stir in the chilli, ginger, garlic, ground coriander and turmeric. Cook for another minute then leave to cool.
- STEP 2
Arrange the salmon in a single layer, spaced slightly apart, in 1 large or 2 smaller buttered ovenproof dishes. Scatter on the coriander and spread the coconut mixture on top. Cover in cling film and chill (for up to a day) until an hour before cooking.
- STEP 3
To serve, turn the oven to 200C/gas 6/fan 180C. Remove the cling film. Roast the salmon for 13-15 minutes until cooked, but still moist. Bring to the table in the dish(es).