Redcurrant & red onion relish
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Ready in about 55 mins
- Makes one 400g pot
Fantastic with goat's cheese, sausages or cold meats
- 2 medium red onions , peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 1 small red pepper , seeded and cut into small chunks
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 plump red chilli , seeded and chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 small knob fresh ginger , chopped
- 200ml red wine vinegar
- 140g light muscovado sugar
- 1 tsp five spice powder
- 200g redcurrants , stripped from stalks
- STEP 1
Toss the onions with the red pepper and the oil, then fry in a frying pan for 5-8 mins over a high heat until lightly charred and softened. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- STEP 2
Put the chilli, garlic and ginger in the pan with half the vinegar. Bring to the boil then simmer for 2-3 mins. Add the onions and pepper plus the remaining vinegar, all the sugar, spice and 1 tsp salt.
- STEP 3
Bring to the boil then bubble away for about 5 mins until thickened. Add redcurrants and simmer for about 5 mins more, or until they have burst, but still have some shape and the liquid is syrupy.
- STEP 4
Remove and pour into a large heatproof jar. Cover and seal while hot. Keeps in the fridge for up to 3 weeks.