Potato curry with lime & cucumber raita
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 5
- 2 tbsp vegetable or sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp brown or black mustard seeds
- 3 long dried red Indian chillies
- 12-15 curry leaves
- 2 onions , sliced
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 500g tomatoes , quartered
- 800g potatoes , peeled and cut into very large chunks
- 400g can coconut milk
- chapatis, rotis or naan bread , to serve
For the raita
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the mustard seeds, chillies and curry leaves until the seeds start to pop. Add the onions and fry until softened and starting to brown. stir in the spices, add the tomatoes and fry for 5 mins. Add the potatoes and stir to coat. Pour in the coconut milk with 200ml water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 20-25 mins, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are just tender.
- STEP 2
To make the raita, mix all the ingredients together with some seasoning.
- STEP 3
If the curry looks a little too saucy, scoop out the potatoes with a slotted spoon into another dish, then boil the sauce until reduced a little. stir the potatoes back in to heat through, and season well (this curry needs a good sprinkling of salt). serve with warmed Indian bread and a dollop of raita.