Piccalilli potato salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus 2 hrs pickling and cooling
- Serves 6
- 750g new potatoes , halved
- ½ small cauliflower (about 350g), broken into very small florets
- 100g green beans , trimmed and halved
- sunflower oil , for frying
- 300g piccalilli
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 8 radishes , quartered
- 3 baby cucumber , thickly sliced
For the pickled onions
- 100ml cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp brown mustard seeds
- 1 large red onion or 2 small, finely sliced
- STEP 1
First, make the pickled onions. Pour the vinegar and 50ml water into a small saucepan. Add the sugar, 1 tsp salt and the mustard seeds and simmer over a medium heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar has dissolved. Put half the onion into a heatproof bowl and pour the hot liquid over. Leave to cool slightly, then cover and leave to pickle in the fridge for 2 hrs.
- STEP 2
Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the potatoes for 10 mins. Add the cauliflower and beans, and cook for 2 mins more, then drain.
- STEP 3
Heat a depth of 3cm sunflower oil in a small heavy-based saucepan until a small cube of bread dropped into the oil turns golden within 20 seconds. Carefully drop the rest of the onion into the oil and fry for 1-2 mins, or until golden and crisp. Transfer to a sheet of kitchen paper and sprinkle with salt – this will help keep the onions crisp.
- STEP 4
Mix the piccalilli and olive oil together in a bowl. Toss with the cooked potatoes, cauliflower and beans, along with the radishes and cucumbers. Toss in the pickled onions, then tip into a serving bowl and top with the crispy onions.