Pasta e fagioli
- Preparation and cooking time
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery sticks, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 rosemary sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1¼ litres vegetable stock
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 2 x 400g cans Napolina cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 200g small pasta shapes (ditalini or cavatelli work well)
- 200g cavolo nero, stalks removed, roughly torn
- grated parmesan or vegetarian alternative, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium heat and fry the onion, celery and carrots for 10 mins until lightly golden. Add the garlic, rosemary and bay and fry for a minute more.
- STEP 2
Add the stock and chopped tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Tip in the Napolina cannellini beans, bring back to a simmer and cook for 5 mins. Roughly mash with a potato masher to break up some of the beans (or pulse once with a hand blender) – this will thicken the soup slightly. Season well.
- STEP 3
Add the pasta and cavolo nero, then simmer for 4-6 mins more until the pasta and greens are tender. Taste for seasoning, then remove and discard the rosemary sprigs and bay. Serve the soup in warmed bowls with a drizzle more olive oil and a grating of parmesan.