Pasta e fagioli
- Preparation and cooking time
- Cook: -
- plus overnight soaking
- Serves 6 - 8
Make this vegan soup in the slow cooker for a super-easy, healthy supper. Packed with veg, pasta and beans, it's a satisfying soup for winter
- 200g dried borlotti or cannellini beans , soaked for 6-8 hours
- 2 onions , cut into 1cm chunks
- 2 medium carrots , cut into 1cm chunks
- 3 celery stalks, cut into 1cm chunks
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil , plus extra to serve (optional)
- 4 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 litre fresh vegetable stock
- 400g can plum tomatoes
- 2 tbsp brown rice miso
- 6 rosemary sprigs
- 4 bay leaves
- 150g ditaloni rigati or other small pasta shapes
- 200g cavolo nero , stalks finely chopped and leaves torn
- 30g vegan parmesan , grated, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Drain the beans and bring to the boil in a pan of salted water. Cook for 10 mins, drain, rinse and put in a slow cooker with the onions, carrots and celery.
- STEP 2
Stir in the olive oil, garlic, stock, tomatoes, half a can of water and the miso. Tie the herbs together with kitchen string and add these as well. Season. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hrs, until the beans are cooked through and all of the veg is really tender.
- STEP 3
Remove and discard the herbs and stir in the pasta. Cover and cook on high for another 30 mins. Add the cavolo nero stalks and leaves and cook for a final 30-40 mins, or until the pasta is cooked through and the greens are tender. Serve scattered with the cheese and drizzled with a little more olive oil, if you like.
USE CANS IF PREFERRED
You could use 2 x 400g cans drained and rinsed beans in place of dried. Just skip the cooking in step 1.
MAKE YOU OWN VEGAN PARMESAN
Search ‘vegan parmesan’ here on bbcgoodfood.com to make your own.