Nasi goreng (Indonesian stir-fried rice)
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4 - 6
- 300g long-grain rice
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 100g fine green beans, cut in half
- 2 chicken breasts, cut into small even chunks
- 180g pack large raw peeled prawns, cut in half
- 200g shallots, thinly sliced
- 20g garlic, finely chopped
- 2 medium-hot red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 red bird's-eye chilli, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 quantity Balinese spice paste (see recipe in 'goes well with'
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tbsp kecap manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 8 spring onions, thinly sliced
- STEP 1
Put the rice in a medium heavy-based saucepan and add 520ml water. Quickly bring to the boil, stir once and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 mins. Uncover, fluff up with a fork and spread over a tray. Set aside to cool.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Pour in the beaten egg and, as it begins to cook, use a spatula to bring large flakes of cooked egg into the middle of the omelette. Continue to cook like this for a couple of mins, then leave the rest of the egg to set completely. Flip the omelette over and transfer to a plate to cool before cutting it into long, thin shreds.
- STEP 3
Drop the beans into a pan of boiling salted water and cook for 3 mins. Drain, refresh under cold water and set aside.
- STEP 4
Heat the remaining oil in a wok or large, deep frying pan until almost smoking. Add the chicken and prawns, and stir-fry for 1 min. Tip in the shallots, garlic, chillies and carrots, and stir-fry for a further 2 mins until the carrot is just tender. Add the spice paste and stir-fry for 1 min more. Add the tomato purée, kecap manis, cooked rice and green beans, and stir-fry over a high heat for 2 mins. Add the soy sauce, spring onions and shredded omelette, and toss together.
- STEP 5
Spoon the nasi goreng onto warmed plates. Overlap the cucumber and tomato on the side of each plate, sprinkle over the crispy fried onions and serve with prawn crackers.