- 100g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg , lightly beaten
- 100ml cooled fish stock , vegetable, chicken or dashi stock
- 1 baby potato , peeled and grated
- ¼ white, pointed or sweetheart cabbage , shredded
- 1 spring onion , finely sliced
- thumb-sized piece ginger , grated
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin
- 100g lightly cooked squid , king prawns or octopus (or some of each)
- vegetable oil , for frying
For the sauce
- STEP 1
Combine the flour, baking powder, egg and stock. Mix until smooth, whisking out any lumps without overmixing. Add the potato, season with a little salt and white pepper, cover and rest for at least 2 hrs.
- STEP 2
While the mix is resting, combine the ingredients for the sauce, stirring until it’s smooth. Set aside.
- STEP 3
Remove the batter from the fridge and add the cabbage, spring onion, ginger, soy, mirin and chosen seafood. Stir to thoroughly coat the mix in the batter.
- STEP 4
Heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Pour the mixture into the pan, keeping it as circular as possible. Fry for 3-5 mins. Use a palette knife to help you flip it over and cook for a further 3-5 mins, using a lid at intervals to trap the heat so it cooks through. Test to see if it’s ready by sticking a chopstick into the middle. If it comes out dry, it’s ready.
- STEP 5
Flip onto a board and serve with the sauce and garnishes to taste. Eat straight away.