Green mango salad with prawns
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Takes 20-25 minutes
- Serves 6, with other dishes
Tasty and unusual Thai salad with green mangoes and succulent prawns - or, you could even use Granny Smith's apples
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 small red chilli , seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp light muscovado sugar
- 3 shallots , finely sliced
- 85g roasted salted peanuts , finely chopped
- 2 green mangoes or 3 Granny Smith apples
- 2 tbsp chopped mint
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 200g pack raw shell-on headless prawn , peeled but with tail on (or, if you use ready peeled prawns, you need 175g/6oz)
- 2 little gem lettuces
- 2 spring onions , shredded
- STEP 1
Mix together the lime juice, chilli, fish sauce and sugar in a large bowl. Add the shallots and three quarters of the peanuts and mix well. Cover and set aside for up to 4 hours.
- STEP 2
Peel and coarsely grate the mango or apple, and stir into the mixture along with the mint. Heat the oil in a frying pan or wok, add the prawns and stir fry quickly until evenly pink – about 2 minutes.
- STEP 3
Scatter the lettuce leaves on a serving plate and spoon the salad mixture in the centre. Surround with the prawns and scatter over the remaining peanuts and spring onions.