Giant peach, nectarine & apricot meringue tart
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 8
- 30-33cm puff pastry round sheet (we used Marie La Pâte Feuilletée), or roll your own from a 375g block
- 100g crème fraîche , plus extra to serve (optional)
- 1 large egg , plus 2 egg whites
- 100g ground almond
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 140g caster sugar
- 3-5 stone fruits (a mixture of peaches, nectarines and apricots), sliced
- 2 tbsp peach, apricot or nectarine jam
- ½ tsp almond extract (optional)
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 25g toasted flaked almond
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Lay the pastry on a large baking sheet and mark a border 2cm from the edge with a knife. Bake for 10-12 mins until puffed up, golden and crisp underneath. Mix the crème fraîche, whole egg, ground almonds, vanilla extract and 40g of the sugar together.
- STEP 2
Push the centre of the pastry down and spread this with the almond and crème fraîche mixture, then top with the fruit. Warm the jam in the microwave, then sieve and brush all over the fruit. Bake in the oven for 10 mins.
- STEP 3
Meanwhile, whisk the egg whites until stiff in a big mixing bowl. Add the remaining 100g sugar, the almond extract, if using, and cornflour, and whisk again to a thick, smooth glossy meringue. After 10 mins, remove the tart from the oven and turn down to 160C/140C fan/gas 3. Dollop the meringue in spoonfuls over the tart, then scatter over the almonds. Bake for another 10-12 mins until the meringue feels crisp to touch. Eat at room temperature with more crème fraîche.