Fridge-raid fried rice
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Pack in the veg with this healthy chicken fried rice, which uses everyday foods you'll find in the fridge for a quick and easy family supper
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 white onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 100g green beans, chopped
- 1 red or yellow pepper, finely chopped
- ½ medium broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 150g cooked chicken (or any other meat), roughly chopped
- 300g cold cooked rice
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- STEP 1
Heat half the vegetable oil in a wok or a frying pan over a medium-high heat, and stir-fry the onions, carrots and green beans for 5 mins. Add the peppers, broccoli and chicken, and stir-fry for 3 mins more.
- STEP 2
Tip in the rice and stir-fry for another 4 mins until all the grains of rice have separated. Push the rice and vegetables to the side, then add the remaining vegetable oil to the other. Crack in the egg and scramble briefly before stirring into the veg and chicken mixture.
- STEP 3
Stir in the sesame oil and oyster sauce to coat, then garnish with the spring onions and sesame seeds.