Devilled eggs with chicken liver pâté
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Makes 12
- 6 organic free-range eggs
- ½ tbsp unsalted butter
- ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp chopped fresh thyme
- 1 small garlic clove , chopped
- 1 shallot , finely chopped
- 250g chicken liver , trimmed
- 1 tbsp Fino sherry
- 3 spring onions 1 chopped, 2 thinly sliced to garnish
- good grating of nutmeg
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- Chicken crackling (see Goes well with)
- STEP 1
Put the eggs in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 8 mins. Drain and cool under a cold tap. Peel the eggs, cut in half and remove the yolks, reserving for later.
- STEP 2
In a non-stick frying pan, melt the butter with the olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add the thyme, garlic, shallot and a good pinch of salt. Cook for 4 mins or until softened and fragrant.
- STEP 3
Add the liver and season. Cook for 2 mins on each side until browned. Add the Sherry and cook until most of the liquid has evaporated and the liver is cooked but slightly blush inside. In a food processor, combine the pan contents, the chopped spring onion, yolks, spices and lemon juice, and pulse until smooth.
- STEP 4
Transfer to a piping bag and pipe into the whites, (see our guide on how to make your own piping bag here). Garnish with chicken crackling (see Goes well with for recipe) and sliced spring onions.