Chilli crab with shaved fennel & parsley salad
- Preparation and cooking time
- No cook
- Serves 6
- 2 fennel bulbs , fronds picked, very roughly chopped
- finely grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil , plus extra for drizzling
- 300g fresh white crabmeat
- 1 chilli , deseeded and finely sliced
- bunch flat-leaf parsley , leaves picked and chopped once or twice
- STEP 1
Trim the stalk away from the fennel and pull away the first layer of each bulb if it’s looking tired or bruised. Slice the fennel into rounds as thinly as possible using a sharp knife or, better still, on a mandolin if you have one. Tip the fennel into a bowl and season with a pinch of sea salt. Squeeze over half the lemon juice and drizzle with 2 tbsp of the olive oil, then set aside to marinate briefly.
- STEP 2
Tip the crabmeat into another bowl, season lightly, then add the rest of the lemon juice and olive oil, and half the chilli, and mix well. The crab and fennel can be prepared up to 2 hrs ahead and kept in the fridge, but bring the fennel out again 20 mins before serving.
- STEP 3
Mix the parsley and the rest of the chilli with the fennel. Divide between six plates, then top each one with a large spoonful of crabmeat in the middle. Scatter over the fennel fronds, lemon zest and a trickle of olive oil, then serve.