Chicken pad Thai
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus 20 mins soaking
- Serves 2
- 150g dried flat rice noodles
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 red chilli , finely chopped
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced finely sliced
- ½ small pack coriander , leaves picked, and stalks finely chopped
- 60g spring onions , shredded (reserving some to serve)
- 2 tbsp chopped pickled turnip (optional)
- 50ml chicken stock
- 100g beansprouts
- 2 eggs
- 60g roasted unsalted peanuts , chopped
- soy sauce , to serve
- fresh red chilli , sliced, to serve (optional)
For the sauce
- 2 tbsp tamarind paste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp light brown soft sugar
- 1 lime , half juiced, half cut into wedges to serve
- ½ tbsp siracha
- pinch chilli powder (optional)
- STEP 1
Soak the noodles in warm water for about 20 mins or until al dente, then drain. Meanwhile, make the sauce by mixing together the tamarind paste, fish sauce, sugar, lime and siracha until smooth.
- STEP 2
Heat half the oil in a frying pan or a wok over a medium heat. Add the garlic and chilli and fry for 30 seconds until fragrant. Tip in the chicken and cook for 5 mins until golden. Add the coriander stalks, spring onions and turnip (if using), and fry for 1 min. Add in the soaked noodles, 50ml of the chicken stock and the prepared sauce. Keep stir-frying the noodles until they’re starting to dry, then add the sauce. Stir everything together and cook over a high heat for 3 mins until the noodles are just cooked. Add a splash more water if needed.
- STEP 3
When the sauce has reduced, scatter over the beansprouts and fold them into the noodles. Push everything to one side of the pan, then pour in the rest of the oil on the empty side and crack in the eggs. Fry for 2 mins until the white is just set and beginning to crisp around the edges, then roughly scramble the runny yolks in with the whites. When the eggs have just set, combine with the noodles.
- STEP 4
Scatter over half of the peanuts and quickly toss together. Divide between two plates with the remaining peanuts and spring onion, the lime wedges and soy sauce on the side.