Chicken drumsticks with cashew & turmeric (kalmi kebab)
- Preparation and cooking time
- plus 3 hrs soaking and marinating
- Serves 6
- 75g cashew nuts
- 1 lemon, juiced, plus extra wedges to serve
- 150g strained Greek yogurt (use regular Greek yogurt if you can't find strained)
- 50g ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 8 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- ½ tsp carom seeds (ajwain), optional
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ¾ tsp cracked black peppercorns
- 50ml double cream
- 12 chicken drumsticks, skinned
- 50g ghee or 75ml sunflower oil
- 1 small red onion, cut into rings
- STEP 1
Put the cashew nuts in a bowl and cover with enough boiling water from the kettle to cover. Set aside for at least 2 hrs to soften. Drain the nuts, then blend until smooth in a small food processor with the lemon juice.
- STEP 2
Mix the nut paste with the yogurt in a large bowl, and add the lemon, ginger, garlic, turmeric, chilli powder, carom seeds (if using), garam masala, cumin, black pepper, and cream.
- STEP 3
Using a sharp knife, make 2-3 slashes on each chicken drumstick and coat them with the spiced yogurt. Cover the bowl and leave the chicken to marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hrs, or overnight if you have the time.
- STEP 4
Heat the oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Put the ghee or oil in a large roasting tin and heat it in the oven until it is really hot.
- STEP 5
Arrange the chicken in a single layer in the roasting tin. Spoon half the marinade over the legs and return the tin to the oven.
- STEP 6
After 15 mins, turn the legs over and spread over the remaining marinade. Put in the oven for a further 15 mins, until the chicken juices run clear when pierced with a knife.
- STEP 7
Preheat the grill to its hottest setting and grill the chicken for 3-4 mins until browned. Transfer to a serving dish, scatter with red onion rings, and serve with lemon wedges on the side.