- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 6
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1 garlic bulb, separated into cloves
- 2 red chillies, deseeded and sliced
- 350ml red wine
- 350ml chicken stock
- 600g tomato, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp chopped thyme
- 6 skinless chicken legs
- chopped parsley, to serve (optional)
- pasta or mash, to serve
- STEP 1
Heat the olive oil in a large heavybased pan. Add the onions and whole garlic cloves. Fry, stirring frequently, for 10 mins, adding the chillies for the final min.
- STEP 2
Pour in the wine, turn up the heat and allow it to bubble for 1 min to cook off the alcohol. Stir in the stock, tomatoes, tomato purée and thyme with some seasoning. Add the chicken legs, pushing them under the liquid, then part-cover the pan and leave to simmer gently for 45 mins.
- STEP 3
Remove the lid and cook for a further 15 mins until the chicken is tender and the sauce has reduced a little. Serve scattered with parsley, if you like, and pasta or mash.