Cheat’s beetroot biriyani
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 3 large (500g unprepped), raw beetroot , peeled and cut into 2cm cubes
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 large onion , finely sliced
- thumb-sized piece of ginger , grated
- 2 small garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cardamom pods
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp garam masala
- 250g basmati rice , rinsed
- 500ml low-salt veg stock
- 100ml fat-free yogurt
- small bunch of coriander
- your favourite chutney or pickle, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat the oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Toss the beetroot with half the oil and some seasoning, then tip into a roasting dish and cook for 25-30 mins, tossing halfway through, until tender.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a large, shallow casserole dish or ovenproof frying pan. Fry the onion over a medium heat for 10 mins until golden. Add the ginger and half the garlic, and cook for 1 min. Stir through the bay, cardamom pods, turmeric and garam masala, then cook for 2 mins. Stir in the rice and beetroot, then season. Pour in the stock and bring to the boil.
- STEP 3
Put in the oven, uncovered, and cook for 20-25 mins until the rice is cooked through. Give it a stir when it’s out of the oven.
- STEP 4
Put the yogurt, coriander and remaining garlic in a food processor and whizz until smooth. Season to taste. Serve the biriyani with the coriander yogurt and pickle.