Cauliflower, chestnut & sage cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Serves 10 - 12
- 1 medium cauliflower (about 500g chopped weight), leaves trimmed and cut into florets
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 25g butter , plus extra for greasing
- 1 large onion , chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves , chopped
- 1 small pack sage , half the leaves picked, largest ones left whole, remaining, finely chopped
- 180g pack cooked chestnuts , 2/3 roughly chopped, the rest halved
- 100g '00' flour
- 100g polenta
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 150g parmesan (or vegetarian alternative), grated
- 8 large eggs , beaten
- green salad , to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil. Drop in the cauliflower florets and cook for 10 mins until soft but holding their shape. Drain and allow to steam-dry.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat the oil and butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and a pinch of salt, then cook for 8 mins until softened and caramelising. Stir in the garlic, chopped sage leaves and chopped chestnuts, and cook for 2 mins or until fragrant. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- STEP 3
Grease and line the base of a 23cm springform cake tin with baking parchment. Put the flour, polenta, baking powder and cheese in a large bowl. Whisk in the eggs so that you have a smooth batter, then carefully fold in the cooked onion mixture and cauliflower.
- STEP 4
Tip the mixture into the prepared tin and arrange the remaining sage leaves and chestnuts on top. Bake for 40 mins until golden brown. Serve warm as a main course with a big green salad, if you like.