Carrot soup with chilli coriander pesto
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4-6
Warm up on a cold day with our carrot soup, spiked with ginger, garlic and curry powder. A dollop of chilli coriander pesto gives the soup an added kick
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions , finely chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves , crushed
- thumb-sized piece ginger , grated
- 4 tbsp mild curry powder
- 900g carrots , sliced
- 1.7l hot vegetable stock
- large bunch coriander , chopped
- 30g pine nuts , toasted
- 1 small red chilli , deseeded and finely chopped
- 40g parmesan or vegetarian alternative, finely grated
- 1 lemon , zested
- crème fraîche and crusty bread, to serve (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat 2 tbsp oil in a saucepan, add the onion and fry for 7 mins. Add 2 of the garlic cloves, the ginger and curry powder and cook for 1 min more. Stir through the carrots and stock and cook, covered, for 15-20 mins or until the carrots are soft.
- STEP 2
Remove from the heat and blitz with a hand blender until completely smooth. Season to taste and leave on a very low heat.
- STEP 3
Tip the remaining 3 tbsp oil into a small food processor along with the coriander, remaining garlic, pine nuts and chilli. Whizz until smooth, then tip into a bowl and stir in the parmesan and lemon zest. If it’s too thick, loosen with 1 tbsp water.
- STEP 4
Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the pesto. Add a spoonful of crème fraîche and serve with bread, if you like.