Buckwheat with charred baby aubergines
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 350g baby aubergines , halved
- 8 whole spring onions , tops trimmed
- 250g buckwheat
- 2 tbsp cold pressed rapeseed oil
- 1 x 400g can green lentils , drained
- 30g dried cherries , roughly chopped
- 8 walnut halves, finely chopped
- 1 lemon , juiced
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- small bunch dill , finely chopped
- 30g soft goat’s cheese , crumbled
- STEP 1
Heat the grill to its highest setting. Spread the aubergines out on a baking sheet, cut-side up, and grill for 10-15 mins until they begin to soften and blister.
- STEP 2
Meanwhile, heat a griddle pan over a high heat. Add the spring onions and cook on each side for 5-6 mins until softened and charred. Remove with tongs and set aside.
- STEP 3
Bring a medium-sized pan of water to the boil. Tip the buckwheat into a frying pan and dry fry over a medium heat for 3 mins until lightly toasted. Add the buckwheat to the boiling water and cook for 4-5 mins. Drain and toss with the oil. Leave to cool down for 5 mins.
- STEP 4
Toss the warm buckwheat, lentils, cherries, walnuts, lemon juice, chilli and most of the dill in a bowl. Spread out on a serving plate and top with the aubergines, charred spring onions, remaining dill and goat’s cheese.