Braised cod with butter beans & mint
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
- 2 x 290g 'No Catch....just cod ' boneless fillets, skin on (4 fillets in total)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 bunch spring onions
- large pinch saffron strands
- 2 garlic cloves , chopped
- 400g can butter beans , rinsed and drained
- 600ml fresh fish stock
- small handful mint leaves, chopped
- 8 thick slices baguettes , toasted
- 2 tbsp half-fat crème fraîche (optional)
- STEP 1
Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Check the cod for bones and remove if necessary. Heat the oil in a flameproof casserole, add the spring onions, saffron and garlic, then cook over a low heat for 1-2 mins until soft.
- STEP 2
Add the butter beans and stock, then bring to the boil and season. Nestle the cod, skin-side up, into the butter beans, then cover and cook in the oven for 10 mins, or until the cod is just done. Lift from the oven and check the seasoning. Add the mint just before serving.
- STEP 3
To serve, put 2 slices of toasted baguette in a bowl, top with butter beans and cod (pulling away the skin if you want) then spoon the cooking juices around the fish. Finish with a dollop of crème fraîche.