Points to remember
- Dry the beef with kitchen paper. Season with salt and pepper.
- Brown the beef on all sides. This helps to seal the meat so that it holds it shape and retains its juices.
- Overlap the prosciutto on a large piece of cling film. Spread with the stuffing, cover with cling film and roll to an even layer.
- Remove cling film and lay the beef on top of the mixture. Lift and roll the cling film to encase the beef.
- Roll the pastry to a rectangle and brush with beaten egg. The beaten egg will give the pastry an attractive golden colour when cooked.
- Fold up the shorter edges, then roll up. Chill for around 30 mins.
- Brush with beaten egg to glaze the pastry. Score lightly to decorate. Sprinkle with sea salt and cook in a preheated oven.
- Leave to rest for around 10 mins then slice with a sharp knife.
MAKING BEEF WELLINGTON
When slicing the wellington, you can cut off the pastry ends first and give an extra portion to each serving.