Discover how to achieve a super-crispy batter for coating cod, hake or haddock. This batter acts as an envelope which steams the fish so that it remains moist whilst cooking. Using sparkling water in the batter mixture helps it to become more aerated, whilst beer adds flavour and turmeric gives it a beautiful golden colour.
How to batter fish
- Skin the fish fillets, by gripping one end and sliding your knife underneath the flesh.
- Combine the flour, salt, baking powder and turmeric, then make a well in the dry ingredients.
- Pour in the sparkling water – and beer – if using. Whisk to a pourable, lump-free batter.
- Heat the oil to 180C, filling the pan to no more than a third full.
- Meanwhile, dust the fillets with flour and then dip the fish into the batter. Coat evenly, lift out and let the excess drip off.
- Carefully lower the fish into the hot oil and cook for 5-8 minutes, depending on thickness.
- Carefully remove using a large slotted spoon. Drain on kitchen paper.