Next level ice cube cocktails
Elevate your summer cocktails to the next level of cool by using ice cubes enhanced with herbs and other flavours so your drink evolves rather than dilutes.
Points to remember:
- Fill an ice cube tray with herbs like thyme and rosemary, and a few rose petals or edible flowers. Top up with water and freeze overnight or until solid.
- Once frozen put a couple into the bottom of a flute or tall glass. For one cocktail pour 25ml gin, 25ml elderflower liqueur and 2 tsp rhubarb cordial over the ice cubes and top up with prosecco.
Frozen piña colada
- Freeze fresh pineapple juice (not from concentrate) in an ice cube tray overnight or until frozen solid.
- Put 2 of these pineapple cubes into the bottom of a tumbler then add the juice of ½ lime, 50ml cachaça, a slice of lime then fill up the glass with coconut water.
- Fill an ice cube tray with cooled strong black coffee and put in the freezer overnight or until frozen solid.
- Drop 2 of the coffee ice cubes into the base of a tumbler and pour over 50ml vodka and 25ml Baileys. Give the drink a gentle swirl or stir before serving.
Read on for more sophisticated ways to shake up your cocktails:
FLAVOURED ICE CUBES DONâ€™T HAVE TO BE USED IN COCKTAILS
Try using the herby ice cubes from the elderflower cooler on top of this elegant green gazpacho summer starter. Or put the pineapple cubes in a glass of coconut water or orange juice. The coffee cubes are great in tonic water for a grown-up mocktail.