Points to remember:
- Fill an ice cube tray with herbs like thyme and rosemary, and a few rose petals or edible flowers. Top up with water and freeze overnight or until solid.
- Once frozen put a couple into the bottom of a flute or tall glass. For one cocktail pour 25ml gin, 25ml elderflower liqueur and 2 tsp rhubarb cordial over the ice cubes and top up with prosecco.
Frozen piña colada
- Freeze fresh pineapple juice (not from concentrate) in an ice cube tray overnight or until frozen solid.
- Put 2 of these pineapple cubes into the bottom of a tumbler then add the juice of ½ lime, 50ml cachaça, a slice of lime then fill up the glass with coconut water.
- Fill an ice cube tray with cooled strong black coffee and put in the freezer overnight or until frozen solid.
- Drop 2 of the coffee ice cubes into the base of a tumbler and pour over 50ml vodka and 25ml Baileys. Give the drink a gentle swirl or stir before serving.
Read on for more sophisticated ways to shake up your cocktails:
FLAVOURED ICE CUBES DONâ€™T HAVE TO BE USED IN COCKTAILSTry using the herby ice cubes from the elderflower cooler on top of this elegant green gazpacho summer starter. Or put the pineapple cubes in a glass of coconut water or orange juice. The coffee cubes are great in tonic water for a grown-up mocktail.