How to make an Easter nest cake
Get the kids to help you bake our showstopping chocolate nest cake. We've used Mini Eggs and Creme Eggs to decorate, but you can use whatever you like.
To make the chocolate cake:
- Whisk 200ml oil with 250ml buttermilk in a jug.
- Stir in 2 tsp vanilla extract and three large eggs.
- In a large bowl, add 250g plain flour, 280g soft light brown sugar, 6 tbsp cocoa powder, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp bicarb of soda and mix with a whisk.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Divide the mixture between two lined tins and bake 180C/fan 160/gas 4 for 25 mins. Leave to cool. Re-line a tin.
To make the nest:
- Heat 100g butter and 200g marshmallows gently on a hob until you get a runny mixture.
- Add 2 tbsp cocoa powder, 75g salted pretzels and 4 shredded wheat biscuits. Stir until well combined.
- Tip the mixture into your large tin and use the back of a spoon to form the nest shape. Leave to set in the fridge.
- Beat 150g softened butter, 300g icing sugar, 2 tbsp cocoa powder and 4 tbsp milk together.
- Assemble the cake by stacking the sponges with icing in between, topping with more icing and the nest.
- Fill your nest with chocolate eggs and serve.
See the full recipe for our Easter nest cake.
More Easter baking inspiration:
What's your favourite treat to have at Easter? Leave a comment below...