Celeriac, kale and potato gratin
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Delightful and filling side dish
- 100 ml double cream
- 75 ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 garlic clove, finely sliced
- 3 sage leaves, torn in half
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- nutmeg to taste
- 25g kale, chopped into bite-size pieces
- butter, for greasing
- 100g celeriac, finely sliced
- 150g potatoes, finely sliced
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to gas 2, 150 C, fan 130 C. Combine the cream, milk, garlic, sage and mustard in a pan. Heat until just coming to the boil, then remove and season with a little freshly grated nutmeg. Discard the sage.
- STEP 2Meanwhile, blanch the kale for 1 minute in a pan of gently simmering water, then drain and refresh in cold water. Drain again, then dry with kitchen paper.
- STEP 3Grease a baking dish with butter. Pour in a little of the cream mixture. Top with a layer of celeriac and potato, season, then top with a little kale. Repeat until all the ingredients are used up, finishing with a layer of the cream mixture. Cover with foil and bake and 1 hour and 40 minutes.
- STEP 4Heat the grill to medium. Remove the foil and finish off under the grill until golden.