- Preparation and cooking time
- Makes 12 squares
A basic flapjack recipe. Add to it anything you like: grated apple and cinnamon, mixed seeds, sultanas, raisins, cranberries, etc. You could drizzle melted chocolate over the top, once it's cooled.
- 375g unsalted butter or baking margarine
- 225g golden syrup
- 200g soft brown sugar
- 500g porridge oats
- STEP 1Set oven to gas mark 3, 160 C.
- STEP 2Grease a 20x30cm baking tray and line the bottom with baking parchment.
- STEP 3In a large saucepan melt butter, sugar and syrup until all mixed and runny.
- STEP 4Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the oats until all combined.
- STEP 5Pour the mixture into the prepared baking tray and smooth even with a spatula.
- STEP 6Place in the centre of the pre-heated oven and bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until golden. (If you prefer a more chewy flapjack, it should still have a slight wobble when you take it out of the oven).
- STEP 7Allow to cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then mark lightly where you want to cut into squares. Cover with a clean tea towel until completely cooled.
- STEP 8Cut into squares and turn out.