Cinnamon Rock Cakes
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Makes Cakes
buttery, crumbly and simply melt in the mouth
- 226g self-raising flour
113g demerara sugar plus some for sprinkling
- 113g margarine
- 113g dried mixed fruit (currants, sultanas, peel etc.)
- 1 egg
- a splash of milk
- 1/2 tsp ground mixed spice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (if, like me, you are cinnamons biggest fan, then add a whole tsp instead of half.)
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 175C. Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and then add the ground mixed spice and the cinnamon. Mix through well.
- STEP 2Next, add the margarine and mix to resemble fine breadcrumbs with your fingers. Add the sugar and then mix thoroughly with a wooden spoon. Pour a beaten egg into the mixture until it comes together to a sticky, dough ball. You made need a little milk at this point but add it a splash at a time.
- STEP 3Place the mixture in generous lumps on a baking tray and then sprinkle with sugar. Don't smooth them out too much at this stage as they look much better when cooked, if they remain lumpy.
- STEP 4Bake in the oven for 10-20 minutes, or until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- STEP 5Then Enjoy! They are perfect with cups of tea and coffee and delicious with clotted cream when still warm from the oven!!