Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Plum and marzipan cake
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- 1 hour cooling time
- Serves 6
A delicious moist and fruity treat
- 1 kg ripe English plums
- 150g butter
- 100g marzipan
- 220g light muscovado sugar
- 2 eggs
- 6 tbsps cold tea
- 250g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- grated rind of 1 organic lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
Icing sugar for dusting
- Icing sugar for dusting
- STEP 1Preheat the oven to 180C/350FGas 4
- STEP 2Line and grease a 23cm round cake tin. Loose-based if possible.
- STEP 3Halve and stone the plums. Break off small round balls of marzipan and press into the indent in each half plum.
- STEP 4Beat butter, sugar, eggs, tea, flour, spices and lemon rind until well mixed.
- STEP 5Place half of the plums, skin side up on the bottom of the tin. pour over the cake mixture and press the remaining plums on top, skin side down.
- STEP 6Bake for 1 hour, until the cake has risen evenly and is firm to the touch.
- STEP 7Leave to cool in the tin, and brush the top with the honey whilst still warm. Then tip onto wire tray. Dust with icing sugar. Can be served with greek yoghourt or cream.