Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Street-food-style Mango Sticky Rice
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Inspired by Thai street food, this dish is light, fresh and easy to make!
- 200g Thai Taste sticky rice
- 300ml water
- 2 ripe mangoes (soft to the touch but not bruised)
- 200ml Thai Taste coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon rice flour, whisked into a paste with 2 tablespoons of water
- 100g, Thai Taste palm sugar
- 2 tablespoons Thai Taste tamarind
- 1 pinch, table salt
- STEP 1Put 200g of Thai Taste sticky rice and 300ml of water into a saucepan, bring to the boil. Cover and simmer gently for 10-15 minutes until water is absorbed.
- STEP 2In the meantime, heat the coconut milk, rice flour paste, table salt and the caster sugar to a medium heat to melt sugar and loosen the coconut cream, simmer for a few minutes until the sauce has thickened.
- STEP 3Once warm add the cooked sticky rice, combine using a whisk and cling film the container, the remaining heat in the container from the hot rice will aid the rice in absorbing the sweet coconut liquid.
- STEP 4Leave this closed for at least 10 minutes to ensure it has come together, it should be a thick consistency that sticks to a spoon when dipped into it.
- STEP 5In a small pan add the palm sugar and the tamarind and bring to the boil on a high heat. Stirring constantly allows the sugar to caramelize and thicken (around 3-4 minutes). It is ready when it takes on a honey like consistency and pours off a spoon slowly.
- STEP 6Lastly, peel the mangoes by removing the skin. Next slice an end off to the stone so you can see the location of the flat sides of the stone with your eyes, the mango has a flat, oval shaped disk in the middle of it, this is what you want to remove.
- STEP 7Next carefully run a small knife along the flat sides of the mango, moving the mango with one hand as you gently guide the knife to separate the flesh from the stone with the other. Once you have all 4 halves, from both mangoes, slice them into bite-sized chunks.
- STEP 8Plate up by placing the sticky rice in the centre of the plate with the sliced mango placed on top of it, finish by pouring a portion of the palm sugar caramel over the mango and dig in.