Courgette & Feta Fritters
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Thanks to Riverford for this recipe. Perfect topped with parma ham and poached eggs.
- 3-4 courgettes (about 600g), coarsely grated
- 100g self raising flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 150g feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh dill, mint or coriander, finely chopped
- ½ tsp dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Oil for frying e.g. vegetable (or sunflower)
- STEP 1To make the fritters, put the grated courgette in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle with salt. Leave for 10 minutes. Drain off any liquid that has accumulated, then place the courgettes on a clean tea towel and squeeze out as much liquid as you can.
- STEP 2Put the courgette back in the bowl, add the flour and eggs and mix well. Now add the spring onions, feta, garlic, herbs, chilli if using and seasoning (go easy on the salt as you have already salted the courgettes) and mix once more. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat.
- STEP 3Carefully drop spoonfuls of batter into the oil, using about 2 tablespoons batter for each fritter and patting them down so they flatten slightly in the pan. Fry gently until golden brown on both sides. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm until all the fritters are ready.