- STEP 1
1. Sift the flour into a bowl with the salt. Add the suet and sufficient water to create a soft but not sticky dough.
- STEP 2
2. Turn on to a floured board and roll out to a rectangle about 20x30cm/8x12in.
- STEP 3
3. Brush the pastry with the warmed jam, leaving a 1cm/½in border all round.
- STEP 4
4. Fold in this border and brush with milk. With the short side towards you, roll up the pastry loosely and seal the ends well.
- STEP 5
5. Place on a greased baking sheet, with the sealed edge underneath. Brush with the beaten egg and sprinkle with caster sugar.
- STEP 6
6. Bake in the oven at 200C/400F/Gas 6 for 35-40 minutes until golden brown.
- STEP 7
7. Remove from the oven, sprinkle on a little more sugar and serve hot with home-made English custard.