Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 3
Easy semi slow cook, sausage casserole that tastes great and works wonders to warm your bones on those lazy wintery, Sunday evenings... Ultimate Bowl Food.
- 8-12 Richmond Sausages
- 2 Onions (chopped)
- 6-8 Rashers Smoked Back Bacon
- 200g Red Lentils
- 500ml knorr vegetable stock pot
- 2 Tbsp Dried Mixed Herbs
- 1 Beef OXO Cubes
- Leaves from 3-4 Sprigs of Rosemary
- 400ml tin Chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tsp garlic puree
- 3-4 splashes of Tobasco
- 3-4 good splashes of Worcestershire sauce
- STEP 1Brown off and seal the Sausages in separate frying pan. Whilst sausages are frying, chop the bacon & onions and place into a casserole dish (that's suitable for Hob/oven cooking) with a 2tsp oil and knob of butter. Remove Sausages from heat and place on kitchen towel to cool a little and remove some excess fat. (keep the frying pan and juices to one side) Turn Oven on and pre-heat to 200°/180°(fan oven) Make up Stock from 500ml boiling water and 1x knorr vegetable stock pot
- STEP 2Place the casserole dish onto the hob slowly cook the onions on a medium to high heat until they start to soften, then add the mixed herbs and fry for a another minute before adding the bacon. Whilst the Onions are cooking, cut the sausages into thirds and place back into the frying pan Throughly rinse the Red Lentils and set aside.
- STEP 3Once the bacon is cooked, add and stir in the remaining ingredients and season with plenty of pepper. (do not salt at this stage due to the smoked bacon) Add the Sausages and juices from the frying pan. Stir in the lentils and stock until evenly distributed. Place in to the Oven and cook for 1hour, without a lid. After an hour remove and check to see if the lentils are cooked, if not return to the oven for 10 minutes. Remove, season to taste and serve...