Courgette, potato & roasted tomato soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Great for gluts of courgettes and tomatoes at the end of the summer. A warming soup that's easy to make anytime!
- 1kg courgettes yellow or green chopped into medium chunks
- 500g cherry tomatoes
- 500g potatoes
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- Dried thyme
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil plus more to drizzle
- Salt & pepper to season
- STEP 1Turn oven to 180c fan. Put the tomatoes into roa asting pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle over dried thyme and season with salt & pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes until cooked through. Set aside until ready to use.
- STEP 2Chop potatoes into medium chunks and place in a saucepan with the vegetable stock cube and top up with hot water. Cook until potatoes for 10-15 minutes until soft.
- STEP 3Slice courgettes into thick slices then quarter each slice. Chop the onion into medium size chunks. Heat a frying pan and add 1.5 tbsp of olive oil and add the onions to the pan and cook for 10 minutes on a low heat until soft, then add the courgettes and cook for 5-10 minutes until just soft.
- STEP 4In a large saucepan add the onions, courgettes, potatoes with the vegetable stock cube water and top up with 150-200 ml of water and bring to a boil, then turn down and simmer for 20 minutes until all veg are soft. Add the roasted tomatoes and blitz with a hand blender leaving a few chunks if you want to. Season to taste with salt & pepper and serve
- STEP 5The extra water added to the vegetables will depend on how thick you want the soup. Add more once everything has been blitzed together if you want to thin the soup. The soup will keep in a fridge for up to 4 days and can be easily doubled for freezer batching.