Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
This hearty soup is a Mexican-inspired favorite, made easy.
- 1 1/4 lb. skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 oz. chicken stock
- 1 (14.5-oz.) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (8-oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (4-oz.) can chopped green chiles
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp. ground cumin
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 yellow squash, halved and sliced
- 3 oz. green beans, halved
- 1 tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 1/2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for serving
- Sliced jalapeños, sour cream, and tortilla chips, for serving
- STEP 1Combine chicken, onion, bell pepper, garlic, stock, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, chiles, chili powder, oregano, and cumin in a 4-quart slow cooker. Season with salt and pepper.
- STEP 2Cook, covered, until chicken is cooked through on low 7 to 8 hours or on high 3 to 4 hours. Add squash and green beans and cook, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove chicken, discard bones and shred meat; return to slow cooker. Stir in lime juice and cilantro.
- STEP 3Serve topped with cilantro, jalapeños, and sour cream, with tortilla chips alongside.