Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
Curd & Fish Kaalia Recipe by Hiran B Debnath
- Preparation and cooking time
- 10 minutes
- More effort
- Serves 6
You can make Kaalia with Rohu Fish or Catla Fish. Both are sweet water Indian fish. It's a famous Bengali traditional fish dish. Goes really well with steamed white Rice.
- Rohu Mach (Rohu Fish) - 500g
- Doi (Curd) - 200g
- Tomato - 2
- Tej pata (Bay Leaf) - 2
- Halud (turmeric) powder - 1/2 tbsp
- Jeera (Cumin) powder - 1/3 tbsp
- Ada (Ginger) paste - 2 tbsp
- Peyaaj (Onion) paste - 3 tbsp
- Garam Masala powder - 1 tbsp (mixture of Darchini/Cinnamon, Elach/Cardamom, Long/Cloves)
- Kashmiri Lanka r guro (Kashmiri red chilli powder/any red chilli powder) - 1/3 tbsp
- Kacha Lanka (Green chilli) - 3/4
- Kalo morich er guro (Black pepper powder) - 1 pinch
- Sugar - 1 tbsp
- Salt as per your taste
- Raisins - 1/2 cup
- Mustard Oil - 5/6 tbsp
- Ghee - 1/2 tbsp (clarified butter that is originated in ancient India )
- STEP 1* In a mixture grinder add 2 tomatoes, ginger paste, garam masala powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, onion paste and grind them well.
- STEP 2* Marinate Fish pieces with turmeric powder and little Salt.
- STEP 3* Next, Heat your Pan/Kadhai, add 3/4 tbsp mustard oil and once the oil is heated, you need to Shallow fry the Fish pieces. Keep the fried fish pieces aside.
- STEP 4* Now, add 3 tbsp mustard oil on your Kadhai and when it's heated add Bay leaf to it and the colour will turn brown. Add Raisins and Add the whole grinded spice mixture in the Kadhai. Steer it well and cook all the spices for 4/5 minutes. You will get a nice aroma out of all the spices. Now add Curd to it. Steer the whole spices with curd well and add 1 cup water to it. Last, add the shallow fried Fish pieces into the spices, cover it with a lid and let it cook for 2/3 minutes under low flame. Finally, Add 1/2 tbsp ghee to it at the end.