Haddock in Tomato & Olive Sauce
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 2
Haddock cooked in an Italian tomato and olive sauce served with green beans and sautéd new potatoes.
- 120 g of fine trimmed green beans
- 4 medium new potatoes, thickly sliced
- 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 100g black olives, halved
- 1 large garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 5 tsp butter
- STEP 1Heat 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and cook the onion and two-thirds of the garlic for 2-3 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- STEP 2Add the chopped tomatoes, olives, tomato puree and 1 tsp oregano. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 10-15 minutes, or until the sauce begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- STEP 3Lay the haddock fillets on top of the tomato sauce, cover and cook for 6-8 minutes, or until the fish begins to flake.
- STEP 4Meanwhile, for the sautéed potatoes, parboil the potatoes in lightly salted boiling water for 5-6 minutes. Drain well. Heat 3 tsp butter and 1 tbsp oil in a frying pan and cook the potatoes over a medium to high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until browned on all sides. Sprinkle with the remaining oregano, and season well with salt and pepper.
- STEP 5Cook the green beans in boiling water for 3-4 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside. Heat 2 tsp butter in the pan and cook the remaining garlic over a low heat for 1 minute. Add the green beans and toss together. Season with salt and pepper.
- STEP 6Serve the haddock in the tomato and olive sauce alongside the green beans and sautéed potatoes.