Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Easy and delicious
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 1/2 mugfuls of risotto rice
- 1 chicken stock cube
- Pesto, to taste
- 1 mugful of frozen peas
- 200 g of ham, chopped
- STEP 1Halve the onion and peel off and discard the papery brown skins. Then chop both onion halves as finely as you can and discard the rooty ends. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium hob heat and add the onion. Fry for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent.
- STEP 2Add the rice and give the mixture a good stir to prevent it from sticking.
- STEP 3Crumble the stock cube into a standard-sized mug and fill it with boiling water from the kettle. Stir to dissolve the cube and pour it into the rice saucepan. Add three further mugfuls of boiling water.
- STEP 4When the liquid in the saucepan starts to boil, turn down the heat to low and cook for 15-20 minutes, occasionally stirring well, until the rice absorbs the liquid. Add half a mugful more of boiling water if all the liquid has disappeared but the rice still isn't cooked, then cook it for a little longer. Repeat until rice is tender.
- STEP 5Stir in the pesto (as much as you want), frozen peas and ham and continue cooking until the peas are hot. Check the seasoning and serve.