Redcurrant and Cassis Jam
- Preparation and cooking time
- More effort
- Makes 5 x Jars
This easy recipe can be quickly adapted for any weight of Redcurrant
- 1.5 kg Redcurrents (or any weight of redcurrents you have)
- 1kg Preserving sugar
- 2 tbsp Cassis
- STEP 1Rinse the redcurrants and add them to a large pan.
- STEP 2Cover the pan with enough water to cover the bottom. Simmer the fruit until it is cooked and softened
- STEP 3Strain the fruit with a fine sift, extracting as much juice and flesh as you can .. discard the seeds and stalks.
- STEP 4Now weigh the strained puréed fruit and add it back to the pan along with the same weight of sugar. We had 1kg at this stage thus added 1kg of sugar.
- STEP 5Bring to a rolling boil and maintain the boil for 5 mintues
- STEP 6add the cassis (adjust amount as necessary depending on the amount of fruit)
- STEP 7To test if the jam is done use the cold plate test. place a drop of jam on to a cold plate from the freezer. If you can nudge the jam and it holds its shape its done, if not put back on the heat for a few more minutes.
- STEP 8Remove the scum from the pan and pour into sterilised jars . Keeps for up to a year.