Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Total time
- Serves 6
Fancy is a word I use here to describe somethiung that has a ridiculous amount of ingredients, when in truth - I just threw together the ingredients I had! Make it your own by swapping some of the spices, or using different meat/vegetarian substitute etc.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 medium onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 200 g turkey mince
- 250 g beef mince
- 200 g plum tomatoes
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 400 g can kidney beans
- 1 red chilli pepper, deseeded and finely chopped (or two)
- 1 large red pepper, deseeded and roughly chopped
- 150 g mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 4 pieces sundried tomatoes in oil, rinsed and chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- tbsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp chilli powder)
- Basil, 1 tbsp (remove)
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 small leek, roughly chopped
25 g milk chocolate for good measure, and a slightly smooth flavour
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp creole seasoning
- 1 tsp tumeric
What you can serve it with:
- Rice, pasta, roasted potatoes, bakes potatoes, pita bread, or on its own! I'm pretty sure it would be awesome on a slice of good, perhaps homemade, bread? It's up to you!
- STEP 1First of all heat a little oil in a large casserole, brown the mince along with the onion and garlic.
- STEP 2As this is sizzling away in the pan on medium heat, start preparing the other ingredients that needs to be peeled, chopped. Whenever the mince is almost browned, start adding the rest of the ingredients one by one. It should take at least an hour to compose, which means that all the flavours will come together and you'll end up with a big pot of goodness!
- STEP 3For the roast potatoes, you half them and boil them in lightly salted water until they start to soften. Take them off the heat, pour in a little oil and a little salt, cover with a light and lightly shake. Place them on a baking tray and grind a little black pepper over them. Place them in the oven on about 180°C and bake for about 30-40 minutes until they turn a nice golden colour and the top of them starts to puff up slightly.
- STEP 4Timing-wise, I would start boiling them as the mince is browning. You'd rather have the chilli stewing a little extra rather than having raw potatoes to go with them!
- STEP 5Serve with whatever takes your fancy, or eat it just the way it is! Hopefully you wont be disappointed, I know I sure weren't *smiles*
- STEP 6About 290 calories per person for the chilli, then you decide what to have with it!