Member recipes are not tested in the GoodFood kitchen.
- Preparation and cooking time
- Serves 4
Tender chicken in a coconut and almond sauce
- 4-6 chicken thigh fillets, skinned and chopped into chunks
- Pinch of saffron
- 2 tbsp milk
- Marinade: 3cm ginger, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 150g Greek yoghurt
- 1 tsp gram flour, heaped
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- Sauce: 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 onions, minced
- 1-3 dried red chillies
- 3 cloves
- 3 cardamoms
- 3cm pieces cassia bark
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 75g creamed coconut/400ml coconut milk
- 2 heaped tbsp almonds, ground
- 1 tsp white poppy seeds, ground
- Handful coriander leaves, finely chopped
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- STEP 1Crumble saffron into a small bowl and add the milk and leave to steep.
- STEP 2Place the coriander seeds, salt and peppercorns into a pestle and mortar and crush.
- STEP 3Then add the roughly chopped ginger and garlic and pound to create an aromatic paste.
- STEP 4Place chicken into a large bowl and add the yoghurt, gram flour, turmeric and the paste from the pestle and mortar. Stir thoroughly, cover and leave to marinade for an hour or longer if possible.
- STEP 5Heat ghee in a pan and add the cloves, cardamom, cassia and the dried red chillies and fry for a few minutes until fragrant.
- STEP 6Add the minced onions and fry gently on a medium heat for about 10 minutes, until they just begin to brown.
- STEP 7Add the marinated chicken and stir-fry for about 5 minutes on a medium heat.
- STEP 8Place the lid on the pan, reduce the heat and leave to cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- STEP 9Pour in the creamed coconut, with the ground almonds and poppy seeds then stir to thicken.
- STEP 10Increase the heat and simmer until the chicken is tender and the sauce has thickened to the consistency you want. Pour in the saffron milk for added decadence and remove the pan from the heat.
- STEP 11Add the garam masala and fresh coriander. You can also add a squeeze of lemon juice for added freshness, then serve.